New Release: Bug Fixes & Loads of WordPress Plugin Enhancements13 Comments
We’ve been very busy making SlideDeck more solid and trouble free. SlideDeck should be easy to use and look beautiful too so we’ve focused on those areas while fixing the bugs you’ve all been reporting.
Here are some of the highlights; a full feature list is at the end of the post.
“Gallery Style” Smart SlideDeck Skins
After seeing some requests for more Smart SlideDeck skins, we gave our designers the challenge of creating a series of Smart SlideDeck skins that would show off the images in your posts. Now your WordPress posts can be front and center with images as a focus, leaving the text as a simple title.
Smart SlideDeck skins are also fully fluid now which means that you can make a Smart SlideDeck fit into your layout more appropriately. The deck pictured above is 750px by 280px. you can make a Smart SlideDeck square, or even a portrait orientation if you like.
More Options for WordPress SlideDecks
Not all of the options in the jQuery version of SlideDeck are easy to add to the WordPress version, but for this release we took all the configuration options we could easily transpose and added them to the WordPress interface. You should notice new check boxes for both regular SlideDecks and Smart SlideDecks.
We’ve added the ability to show or hide the “Active Corner” indicator, to choose whether to allow keyboard navigation or not, and whether to allow navigation via the mouse scroll wheel. Scroll wheel navigation is also included by default in this release of SlideDeck, so you’ll get that functionality out of the box.
A Better UI for Inserting a SlideDeck Into Your Posts
While using SlideDeck for WordPress internally, we found a couple instances where the UI could have been improved. One such instance was the “Insert SlideDeck” modal. The modal originally allowed you to enter dimensions, then choose a SlideDeck to be inserted. We adjusted the process so you can now click a deck first, then enter the dimensions and finally click insert to place your deck.
Here is the full list of changes:
SlideDeck jQuery Library:
- Fixed an auto play error.
- Added Vertical Slide callbacks.
- Auto play now pauses upon any interaction with the deck.
- Refined example files, and added new implementation examples.
SlideDeck WordPress Plugin:
- Fixed an issue where the SlideDeck preview would incorrectly process width values.
- Standardized width & height adjustment boxes for the PHP Snippet in the sidebar on both regular and Smart SlideDeck editing pages.
- Insert SlideDeck modal now allows selection and adjustment without inserting the deck. An insert button has been added.
- Added the ability to adjust the height of a Smart SlideDeck.
- Added 3 new Smart SlideDeck skins that focus on imagery/image gallery style. For image based (gallery) skins, posts with no images are excluded.
- Added the ability to request a preferred image size (for Smart SlideDecks) via an option in a Skin file’s CSS.
- HTML/Visual tabs are now remembered and restored on page load when editing a deck.
- Disabling the visual editor (in user profile settings) now works as expected, instead of reporting errors and breaking interaction.
- Voyager & Ribbons skins have been updated to better support slide background images in Internet Explorer.
- Fixed an issue where entering custom formatted HTML into the HTML Editor view could result in escaped (<p>) contents being loaded when the deck was next edited.
- Adjusted default height for Standard & Smart SlideDecks for future compatibility.
- Fixed an issue where the default autoPlay interval would be 5000 seconds.
- Added jquery.mousewheel.js library as part of the distribution.
- Added options for hiding the active corner, disabling keyboard navigation, disabling scroll navigation.
- Added advanced global options for SSL & jquery.mousewheel.js exclusion.
We’re constantly working to make SlideDeck a better product as we use it daily. Do you think we missed something? Is there something that’s been bugging you about SlideDeck? Let us know in the comments section below.